Help Center Live Community
April 19, 2014, 11:07:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blank Chat Screen  (Read 10041 times)
Blasphemy
Not too much to say...

« on: September 11, 2007, 08:54:48 PM »

I am having a problem with getting it to show the chat screen. When I click on the Live Help it brings up a popup that is blank. I can see it trying to update but nothing shows in the window. I have installed the 2.1.5 update hoping it would fix it but it does not. My IT guy set this up and I have no idea what he did or did not do. I know he set this up correctly on another site, so I don't feel he did anything wrong. I did move the site and all folders and files over to a new hosting company.

The server is linux/apache
mysql server version is 5
php is version 5

I really need some help. I am a designer not a coder, but a fast learner. I use ultraedit to modify any of my files.

Any suggestions?

William
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »

#1 make sure all permissions are correct (doubt this is the problem, but good to double check) #2, if you have access to your webserver error logs, check to see if it's outputing PHP errors.  It almost sounds like something broke in php, which will cause the "white screen of death" 

how may I help you today?
Blasphemy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »

I looked in the error logs and did not see anything. Of course I could be looking in the wrong place. I did check the permissions and all were correct. As stated before I am a designer not a coder, so I might be looking in the wrong place or in the right place and just not see it. But yes, it is a white screen of death. Smiley

William 
Blasphemy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:59:54 AM »

Also, I saw in another post that you wanted the folders and directories set at cmod 777? Wouldn't this create a security issue?
victor
HCL Member

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:25 PM »

I think this permissions are needed, I have the "cache" folder with 777

Blasphemy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:43:27 PM »

My cache folder is set to 777 and it still gives me the 'white screen of death'
Blasphemy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »

Mike,

Can you check my hcl? I have doubled checked to make sure it was writing to the database and it is. I just cannot get it to work. Also, I can get the image to show the chat, but it always shows it offline. I am really at a loss, the last person you were working with here was my IT guy David and he is no longer here. Nor will he be available for probably a long time as he is in jail right now. I just had everything dumped in my lap and I am really at a loss. I can give you access to the ftp and the msql, I know you probably don't have have time, but I would really appreciate it - more than you would ever know. Smiley

Respectfully,
William
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:44:09 AM »

Those folders are used to store cache and compile code.  The error log we would be looking for is generally the apache error log, however some ISPs use a separate logfile and some don't have any.  So it makes it kind of hard to debug sometimes.  I'm thinking we should try putting the debug code on there and see what the environment looks like.  http://www.helpcenterlive.com/smf/index.php/topic,71.0.html has the debugger code if you can download it and send me a PM with the root URL for hcl, I can take a look and see what we can find.

Blasphemy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 06:04:23 AM »

PM sent

Thanks,
William
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 06:12:57 AM »

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on here.  Everything looks ok on first glance.  I'll probably spend some time tonight pouring over the phpinfo portion.

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »

I just noticed that you don't appear to have any departments setup.  You MUST have at least 1 operator and 1 department setup for the system to work correctly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: