Help Center Live Community
April 19, 2014, 04:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HCL 3.0.0 Started  (Read 71421 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 01:04:39 AM »

Not a clue at this point.  It's rather subject to the vagaries of other work I have to do.  Some weeks I make a lot of progress, others almost none. Sad

how may I help you today?
4GoodSolutions
Not too much to say...

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »

Ha, I recognize that pattern from my own work :-)

Just tell me, as I use Fantastico version of HCL - is 2.1.4 absolute safe to have on sites with thousands of visitors?

Regards.
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »

Only if you patch it.  2.1.5 is the better version, as it has a security patch applied. 2.1.4 > 2.1.5 is basically download the new version, remove config.php and the setup directory, upload and verify permissions on /icons /cache /compile are all 777 and your golden.

BastiaanR
Not too much to say...

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »

For a new company (read, little money) I've been asked to check out the various possibilities regarding Live Chat + E-mail + Trouble Ticket systems. And so I came accross Help Center Live, which was recommended to me as am "all in one system" - just what I am looking for.

After installing HCL on a testmachine I noticed that the expected Ticketing feature was missing. Reading up on this, it seems that HCL has been using osTicket and later eTicket instead of a native solution. I've also read that a start has been made on hclTicket, back around June 2007, and someone else is supposedly continueing work on (a version of) eTicket for HCL.

It really should be made more clear on the HCL homepage what HCL is, and what it isn't. Neither of the links "About HCL" and "Features" tell you what HCL is, and what it currently does. And what it doesnt.

While you're at it, can I suggest informing your users somewhere how they can log into HCL after installing it. I didn't see any instructions on this during the installation, and I didn't find it in the Installation Guidlines / FAQ's on your site. I only happen to find it mentioned somewhere in your forums.

While we're waiting for the release of 2.2.0 / 3.0.0 (in different places mentioned as going to be released "somewhere between next November and November 2010" and "in the beginning of the new year"), which does include the combined package of Chat, E-mail, and Ticket systems, which seperate (non-integrated) Ticket system do you recommend to use alongside HCL? Do you still suggest eTicket, or something else?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:05:49 PM by BastiaanR » Logged
humaneasy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 03:43:17 AM »

Yes this will be possible.  The entire Language system is going to be redone to make it easier to edit, and also to provide "fall through" so that something isn't translated, it doesn't kill the system (right now the system will get fatal errors if a lang file isn't up to date).

Are you planning to use GetText? if not please, please, use it.

Wordpress use and it is a breaze to produce new languages for core and/modules.
More about it at http://codex.wordpress.org/Localizing_WordPress and at http://boren.nu/archives/2004/11/01/localizing-plugins-and-themes/

Also, UTF-8 based system is the best way to go when thinking multi-lang.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:50:57 AM by humaneasy » Logged

A little something about me.
Helped you? Can you, please, rate me. Thanks!
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »

The new language system is about ready for testing, as for getText, there are some issue there that I wish to avoid.  Basically we've changed how the language files are loaded.  The new setup is a little complicated to follow (lots of clean up needed in there!) however simply it loads the language and also checks the english file.  What this does is if english has a define which isn't in the local lang file, it will load the english version so it can display something.  Also, we're improving error handling with missing defines.

Character formating will be selectable at initial install or as a "tool" were you can reset both the output and database collation.  This will probably default to UTF-8 however for best compromise.

4GoodSolutions
Not too much to say...

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »

There is just one thing in 2.15 that is freaking me out and that is a lack of abbility to create and use predefined messages.

I think that is the main difference between HCL and other commercial live chat solutions.

For me it is very unpleasant to every time write "Hello and welcome to company. How may..." And even worse at the end "Thanks you for contacting us. We are constantly trying to...."

I hope that will be possible in 3.0.0 :-)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:40:12 AM by 4GoodSolutions » Logged
Kevin Guske
Not too much to say...

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 06:44:19 AM »

The Upcoming Feature Set (3.0.0) looks interesting.  It brings to mind several questions:
  • Regarding the new plug-in system, is this to be done by overriding functions in classes, or by including plug-in override files instead of core files?
  • How will the interfaces among plug-ins and / or with other applications be defined? Is there a standard in there?  Smiley
  • Regarding "band upgrades", I've been interested in this for some time after seeing it in PHP Auction XL.  What approach are you taking? Did you find or create a script for this?
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »

Basically, when you install a plug in, the core will change the include to only include the active plugin.  This allows you to over ride the core functionality and not even load the original.  At install, the system is VERY stupid, with no real functionality, the core modules are downloaded and used by the system.  The really tricky part is that each function MUST have an MD5 checksum that must match a database located either at helpcenterlive.com or on a mirror.  Really it works a lot like Yum on Red Hat / Fedora based linux systems.

That defininition is being worked on as we develop the plug in code.  While there was a master plan, we keep revising the plan to try and make the whole business as flexible as possible, while also not allowing "unsigned" code to be implemented.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, the initial install of 3.0 is basically the admin interface, which will include the module/plugin manager.  This will let you install the whole system and keep it up to date.  Because HCL is creating the files, it can then update over previous versions so that you can use a "set and forget" feature to keep the system current with no effort.  The set and forget works off the admin interface to reduce/eliminate lag to clients and operator live sessions.

ChrisR
Not too much to say...

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 06:44:45 AM »

ANy news on this or has this project become dead again? and you should have a public svn so we can see whats been done.
swishe
Not too much to say...

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »

The new language system is about ready for testing, as for getText, there are some issue there that I wish to avoid.  Basically we've changed how the language files are loaded.  The new setup is a little complicated to follow (lots of clean up needed in there!) however simply it loads the language and also checks the english file.  What this does is if english has a define which isn't in the local lang file, it will load the english version so it can display something.  Also, we're improving error handling with missing defines.

Character formating will be selectable at initial install or as a "tool" were you can reset both the output and database collation.  This will probably default to UTF-8 however for best compromise.

I love getText.  I use poEdit too.  You should check out how Elgg has implemented it.  Very slick and easy to use for both the developers and the users.
dirtykid
Not too much to say...

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »

hello.. first of all let me say that you have done a grate job.. and my suggestion for today is that you should make a FAQ module.. create/edit/delete questions and answers to common problems that each system admin has delth with more then 2-3 times.

do you like my idea?

---
come to the dark side.. we have cookies

-= WwW.CedarServ.CoM
victor
HCL Member

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:54 PM »

great idea, it will be considered when we have another develepment team available Smiley

jak
Not too much to say...

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »

I'm wondering about client. php, and how many changes there will be to it (or if it will still exist?!) ?
I'm currently developing a application for it, and am curious whether to stop and wait, or carry on?

Many thanks,
Jak Spalding
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »

Development has begun!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: