Help Center Live Community
April 21, 2014, 06:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Center Live v3 Beta - It's Complete  (Read 88390 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 07:38:31 PM »

Thread is not dead, we're just behind.. we work on HCL part time.. but we do work on it ;-)

how may I help you today?
onebluea
Not too much to say...

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 07:57:06 PM »

I would love to be a beta tester.  I installed the current version from cPanel Fantastico and it does not work at all.   Very few actual error messages, but many features do not work.   Sending an email to offline departments does work, but that is about it.

I am currently beta testing the new trillian im product and have already found and narrowed down a bug to one particular action.   Would love to help you guys out with your testing too.   Thanks!
usvi4me
Not too much to say...

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:56 PM »

I would like to volunteer to become a betatester for the MAC OSX platform.
Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and iPhone.
scottjcampbell
Not too much to say...

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 12:32:50 AM »

I'd also like to volunteer (:
Safari, FF, IE, Opera
kekoav
Not too much to say...

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 10:24:04 PM »

Can you give us SVN access to the trunk?  If we're going to be open source, can we be truly open?

If you can show us what you're working on we can help you more!  I can't get behind this project unless it's going to be truly open source--

Get an SVN or GIT repository(hxxp: code. google. com is easy).   Let the community help you out.   I would be happy to contribute patches or anything to a project that is open.

Have a bug management system.  If not for the community, for the developers.

"Open source" is more than just letting us peek at the code when you release it.   It's a state of mind, and a production methodology.   You can have more than 2 developers, in fact, you'll get more done with more developers.

The project sounds like it has promise.   I'd be interested, but I was a little turned off to an open source project that doesn't have current code available!(other than zipped releases)

It seems like you have a community of interested people already, let's not let them down!

Private beta is actually called alpha-- a beta release is by definition public.

I would also suggest a more open source-friendly license. . .  Copyright != Open Source

Best Wishes!
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »

I agree completely with kekoav.  There SHOULD be an SVN/Git repo, and development would go a lot faster, as there would be many more developers working on it, and many more people to test fixes as time goes on.  However, please correct me if I am misinformed, part of V3 relies on the HCL servers, as it is partially hosted, and partially run on your own server, so this would be a bit of an issue.  This is one of the reasons it is currently in its testing stage

There currently is a bug management system however, which you can find here

And another good point about 'Private Beta' == 'Alpha', according to my dictionary, a beta test is:
a trial of machinery, software, or other products, in the final stages of its development, carried out by a party unconnected with its development.

while an alpha test is:
a trial of machinery, software, or other products carried out by a developer before a product is made available for beta testing.

I am NOT a developer for HelpCenterLive. I am just trying to help out anyone that has issues. If you have a problem, check the list of fixes and then create a new topic
stephensan
Not too much to say...

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »

Hi All,

I've been lucky enough to have spent time using a couple of other open source tools in business enviroments (OpenERP, Asterisk) and having installed the current version of helpcenter live I have to say this is a cool project.

From reading the forums this really does seem to be a project with a lot of testers, developers, supporters and documenters willing to get involved and I'm really looking forward to getting more involved myself.

All that said I am wondering if the following. . .

Quote from: HCL Admin link=topic=775.  msg3595#msg3595 date=1233856237

It's a hybrid; part hosted / part run on your server. 

. . . means that the project is moving away from full open source to a tiered solution where the opensource option offers some functionality with a 'full featured', paid for option as well?

Would it be possible to let the community know if V3 will be a fully open source solution or will it require a form of paid for subscription?

Cheers

Stephen
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 12:11:32 AM »

If I understand the plans correctly, it will continue to be free, with part of it running on HCL servers, and the open source end running on your own server. I don't quite understand what part runs where, or why (as I am sure the same could be accomplished while staying fully self-hosted), but I am fairly sure it will continue to be free.

I am sure the admins will fill us in as soon as they have time

I am NOT a developer for HelpCenterLive. I am just trying to help out anyone that has issues. If you have a problem, check the list of fixes and then create a new topic
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 04:03:12 AM »

We've had this project for over a year, almost two if memory serves me right.. in that time we've had no help at all with development.

We coded v3 from the ground up. Right now we've stopped testing it, to focus on some other interests. Pretty frustrated overall, there has been little to no 'community' involvement, other than an occasional offer for forum help.

We'll continue with v3 when we're done with our other projects, or can hire someone full time to continue our development.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:05:18 AM by HCL Admin » Logged

SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 05:13:26 AM »

Ever put it on a git repo or whatever and asked for help? There is a difference between releasing code, and putting it somewhere that people can submit patches. Throw it on github and I am sure you would have a hell of a lot of interest in it. And I am definitely willing to help code as much as I can, just give the word!

Spenser

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »

it was in a SVN repo for years.. and 90% of the coding was done by us..

SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 05:43:48 PM »

Actually? Oh shoot. Well with github, any time you commit something, it would show up on the front page, which may bring a bit more interest. But if you put it in a repo again, I would be glad to help out.

Plus, 10% community help is more than the 0% you are getting right now Wink

Spenser

beardbar
Not too much to say...

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »

I was just looking for this project on github actually.  I would definitely put in some coding time on this project.  I am an ecommerce web developer and have tweaked and modified the different versions for years.  If you put in on github, I would definitely put some good hours in on it.  You have an opportunity right now since many of the paid for services are starting to raise prices and many of my clients are looking for cost saving solutions.

Cheers,

Dan
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 02:17:07 AM »

Good to hear. I am talking to those in charge about it, and due to the amount of time they have put in (as well as the money that has been spent), they are slightly hesitant to give it all away as open source, but there are plenty of benefits to it. I am sure the community (or what is left of those interested in helping... which seems to be beardbar, BrianP, and myself) and HCL can come to a compromise with a certain amount of freedom of code (open source) yet a large benefit for the parent company as well.

Spenser

scottjcampbell
Not too much to say...

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »

i'm also up for helping, sounds like a pretty cool idea to get the actual users of the script to have their input, as we do know what we want dont we?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: