Help Center Live Community
April 23, 2014, 10:04:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons are not displaying  (Read 5596 times)
tim1965
Not too much to say...

« on: October 18, 2008, 12:15:14 AM »

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me with this.  I just installed a new install of HelpCenterLive version 2. 1. 7.

I had been running an older version, but decided to install a whole fresh version to avoid issues.  (didn't work .  .  .  I have issues with the install. )

Everything seems to work fine with the single exception of the icons.  The default icons display a Red X where the image should be and it will not allow me to upload custom icons. 

Any ideas on what would cause this? I haven't been able to find anything very helpful in precious help posts about it.  Other than making sure the images are . gif .  .  .  and they are.

Thanks
Monty
HCL Regular

back up.. Back Up.. BACK UP!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 01:49:03 AM »

The red x means the image is not there.  This could be because the program is looking in a different location or the image does not exist.  Did you upload the icons through your administration panel?  What permissions is your icons folder set to?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:10:45 PM by Monty » Logged

tim1965
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »

Sorry, I should have indicated that I already know that much. 

I did load the icons through the admin panel and the default icons that come with the program do not show either.  They didn't show from the beginning.  The permissions are set to chmod 777 as indicated in the set up instructions.

The only folder that I was instructed to change the Chmod settings for during/after the set up process was the config. php file, so that one is no longer set to 777.

Have there been any issues with php 5? I found a string in the forum that said php 5 worked fine with this program, before I did the upgrade to HCL.  I have recently upgraded my server to php 5.  To be honest, I didn't notice if the icon problem existed on the old version of HCL after the php 5 upgrade.  Both upgrades occured within a week of each other, and my client did not report any problems with the icons disapearing after the php 5 upgrade.

Thanks
tim1965
Not too much to say...

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »

Hey I found the problem! It is with php 5.

There is a section in the php. ini file that deals with a variety of security issues.  Here is how the section that caused this issue appears:

;This directive allows you to disable certain functions for security reasons.
;It receives a commma-delimited list of function names.  This directive is
;*NOT* affected by whether Safe Mode is turned On or Off.
disable_functions=
readfile,shell_exec,exec,passthru,proc_close,proc_get_status,proc_open,proc_terminate,system

The problem was with the "readfile" function being included in this list.

Having removed it the icons now display properly. 

Fortunatley I thought far enough ahead to make a copy of the PHP version 4 php. ini file.  That allowed me to compare the new version 5 file to the old one in case of something like this.   I probably should have started with that, instead of assuming I messed up the HCL installation itself.   :-[
Monty
HCL Regular

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:59:12 PM »

How very strange.  I use php5.2.3 without any issues.

Thanks for posting your solution.  This helps others with the same issue.

shafter
Not too much to say...

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »

I don't know if this is the same thing but I was working in configuration and messing about with icons [department icons] and the icons disappeared never to be seen again.    
For some reason, if you check the 'use default icon' box [even though it is already using the default icon] and press submit: it deletes the .     gif from the icon directory.    
You may ask 'Why did you check the box and submit?' but I did  and if I did.     .     .    
 :o

This is how I got them back:

I got the original gifs for off line and on-line
They're loaded with this post as attachments

Right click each image and save to your pc [don't change the filenames]

Go back to config - icons
Select default on the left hand column
Online: Don't check 'use default icon' but, in 'use department icon', browse to where you have just downloaded the online.     gif to and then press submit.    
Offline: Don't check 'use default icon' but, in 'use department icon', browse to where you have just downloaded the offline  gif to and then press submit.    
Now do the same for the department you have in the left hand column

I did the above and got my 'default icons' back icons back.    

php = 5.  2.  6
help version = 2.  1.  7
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:11:19 PM by shafter » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: