Help Center Live Community
April 16, 2014, 05:19:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having Problems, READ THIS FIRST  (Read 18707 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« on: June 27, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »

Ok, since people seem to be asking the same questions over and over again, let's make this a little easier.  If your having problems getting HCL installed use these steps, they will speed things up for you, and save us from answering the same questions over and over (gets a little annoying.

#1.  Use the FAQ on the portal site (i.e. type http://www.helpcenterlive.com into your browser.  It uses the same logins as the forums)
#2.  Read the Installation book -here on the portal site.  It's updated as much as possible for the latest release.
#3. Search the forums for others with the same problem.  If your getting java script errors in IE, you might try searching for IE java.  You might have to try a couple of different things.  The search box is at the top of every page in the forums, look for the little magnifying glass, and you've found it.
#4. Finally, no one else is having the same or similar problem.  Start a new topic, be as detailed as you can.  Here's an example of what we like to see:

Code:
Hi, I'm having problems with the initiate chat function.  I'm using IE 7, but have the same problem in FireFox and Opera.  This is on version 2.1.2 on Unix with Apache 2.0.52, PHP 4.3.9, and MySQL 4.1.20, and only affects the operators.

Wow, that was short, huh, but look at all the information.  We now know everything we need to know that it's not the browser, your running latest version of HCL, Unix, a known good Apache, what version of PHP, and what MySQL.

From this it looks like a bug.  and lets whoever sees the message know, "Hey, let's get a bug report to the developers" right off the bat.  This way a hotfix can be created and get you working, or in the case above, we know that there are issues with the timing, what works on one system can be different from another.

Additionally, if someone helps you out, you don't even have to reply, you can hit that little thanks button.  The thanks system counts how many people say thank you for your help.  It's a nice way to say thank you because there is a certain prestige of knowing that 211 people said thank you.

Do not start out abusive in your message, you'll find you probably will get ignored rather rapidly, no one here gets paid for their time.

For our non-English speaking members, if you have problems with English, we understand, no one here speaks every language.  However, try to avoid having Google translate, and if you do, please mark your first post that your using Google translation, it does a really bad job of translating in some cases and could cause confusion or irritation because of the way it words things (I swear it's got a jerk setting!) Smiley

Last, please be patient.  I run a business and am a single father.  While sometimes it seems like I sit here all day waiting to help people out, it's just not the case.  Please be patient for an answer.  Also, try to avoid IMing people for support unless they offer, it's rude and could be interrupting something they need to do. 

NEVER EVER EVER! use someones live help to ask for help unless specifically told to.  It's rude, and most of the developers run business'.  Because it has happend 3 times in the past week, at this point, any person who does this one WILL be asked for billing information, the rate is preset at $125/hour regardless of resolution.  Seriously, this is wrong.  If you want paid help please post in the paid forum and see if someone is willing to do it.

Do not send passwords so we can log in unless a myself or a moderator requests it, and always send e-mail or PM depending on what they request.  For me, managers working for me quite often check my e-mail and IM's for me when I'm away from the office or otherwise swamped (this is happening a lot recenting, as my company is working on expanding.  We've hired 22 people in July, with more coming!) 

PLEASE BE PATIENT!!!  I check the forums all the time.  I love HCL and the community, however I'm working about 20 hours per day 7 days a week, and frankly sometimes it takes a day for me to able to log-in, if a fix eluding us, it may take some time to figure out the best answer.  At this point I will acknowledge an issue to let you know I see it, but may not be able to give you an answer.  If you don't have an answer in a day or two (unless we advise otherwise), add a post to your first post (never start a new thread, it's confusing and will get pruned quickly.

Edit: to clarify some points...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:54:20 PM by mlzhosting » Logged

how may I help you today?
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:32:14 AM »

Here is version .02 of the debug file, I'm posting it here, as this way we have one place to link to it for everyone.  Just download and upload to your main HCL directory.  Remember once your done testing and setting up to delete the file for safety reasons. The next version of debug will have a couple of neat features that should protect your information from prying eyes, actually, .03 will not be happening, since it will be included in future releases of HCL.

edit: File removed because a newer version has been uploaded.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:22:58 PM by mlzhosting » Logged

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »

Ok, I guess version 0.3 will be happening, here it is:

This version includes checks that the server is passing the visitor information and the current server time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: