Help Center Live Community
April 18, 2014, 09:08:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installer stuff and 3.0.0 update.  (Read 10705 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« on: July 18, 2007, 10:52:43 AM »

In doing some tests on changes I've made for the DB stored configuration, I've discovered how inflexible the current installer is.  I'm going to be posting an feature issue in eventum about this, as the installer has been a pain in the pocket in the past, I think it's high time it get fixed once and for all.

Also, SVN copy for 3.0.0 is currently broken, if it installs for you, your doing something wrong.  This should be straightened out by the weekend I would hope. 

One thing, if your trying to follow the 3.0.0 progress, realize that there is no capacity for upgrading databases as we progress.  That kind of work just wastes time.  However people who would like to see what up can do so by browsing to http://www.m-l-z.com/repos/hcl/branches/3.x.x/hcl-2.1.x/  (ignore the hcl-2.1.x designation.  I goofed.. Smiley )

how may I help you today?
dclune
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:04:53 PM »

Apart from departments and staff, are you really losing that much during a database update?

Usually when I am upgrading something, I am prepared to start a fresh install. 9/10 times, by the time your confident enough to look into doing an update on a system you have been using efficiently, there have been so many changes made, that you may as well start fresh to use all the new features Tongue
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

For some it can be problematic, particularly if your ticket system is using the same DB (although in my humble opinion, the module sure at least prefix their records with a unique prefix).  However as I've found in the past month or so, many people really want to keep transcripts, and at least one user has 10 departments and about 30 operators.  So it can be non-trivial.  On the other hand, for small operations, it can be a great idea to drop all the tables and start fresh.  Something that really could be in the installer, quite simply in fact.

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »

Ok, I managed to get a few minutes to work on the installer today.  I've decided to basically rewrite the whole thing.  While it has worked in the past, it isn't as tolerant of different systems, additionally I'm putting checks in the system to ensure that permissions are correct, and on unix systems (maybe Windows, I'm not quite sure yet) it will attempt to fix permissions problems.

Of the webhosting guys here, how many force php_safe_mode, and how many will/can turn it off if a client requires?

phpfixer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:20:48 PM »

we dont use safe mode. oddly enough , safe_mode has its  own set of security issues, thus, ironically, it can actually be safer to run safe_mode off. (read up on it at php.net - http://us2.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php  - also note it is *removed* in php 6.0)

Also keep in mind it needs to be compatible with php 5.2.2 (See php.net for announcement on php4 end of life)
In fact, might recommend dropping any support for php4, as php5 has a numbmer of wonderful features that would make life easier (and help make the application more secure), such as built in input filtering.. (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.filter.php)

Currently we run php 5.2.2/Apache2.2/MySQL5.0.x and expect to have vast majority of all machines we manage up to those versions by end of 2007.

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:25:14 PM »

I tend to agree, however with 90% of the hosting out there still being 4.x.x, I think we need to try to at least make an effort to run in 4, maybe just lose features (or not install them) if on 4.x.x  5 is so much more flexible and a lot of stuff can be trimmed down with it that we would be best to move forward.

safe_mode has always been a crock.  I'm personally more of a fan of suPHP then of safe_mode, but maybe that's just me. Cheesy

dclune
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 06:29:52 AM »

I leave it off...

If a client needs it on, they can flag it as on by adding a line in their .htaccess file in the directory safe mode=on is required...

Code: (.htaccess)
php_value safe_mode "1"
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:46:10 AM »

Cool.  I have a check built in for it, however I'll be glad when the world gets their collective acts together and stops using depreciate functions.  One of our side business' just realized that a critical app requires globals on.  Shesh, it's only been what 6 years since that one was supposed to be buried... Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: