Help Center Live Community
April 23, 2014, 10:05:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loosing Messages  (Read 18871 times)
neo4trace
Not too much to say...

« on: November 04, 2007, 01:44:06 AM »

Hi:

We have deployed the HCL system recently on one of our applications.
Since launch, our agents are loosing a lot of chat messages when they are chatting with the end customers.

The issue occurs whenever a customer or agent types more than 200-300 characters with a few line breaks in the text box, and sends the message. Whoever sends that kind of a message gets cut off, from that point on the communication is only one way where in the the other side can send messages, but not the one who had initiated a long string.

The browsers used by agents and the end customers have been IE 7,6 and firefox, the problem is consistent accross all browsers. HCL is installed on a Linux Box, with PHP5.

It is a very serious issue now, because the system is live and our customers are getting fraustrated when they dont get messages back from agents.

Please advice on how we can rectify this?

Thanks.
victor
HCL Member

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »

what version of HCL are you using? because on the last version there is a maxlength of 150 characters to be sent from costumer and admin side

neo4trace
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:55:13 AM »

How can we increase the limit from 150, without compromising on system performance?
We have the 2.1.5 version installed.
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »

Hmm, I'll double check the source, but I believe just adjusting the MySQL table to allow more the 150 characters should do the trick.  I'll do some checking today if I see anything else that might get in the way.

how may I help you today?
neo4trace
Not too much to say...

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:53:42 PM »

FYI: we already tried all that and seem to loose messages, when you test, try to have a few sentences in there, then 2 line breaks, and a few more sentences in, thats when you get cut off in the communication. Adjusting length in MySQL with few other tweaks can only fix straight long strings I believe.
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »

It looks like the code is trying to avoid a potential mysql error, and is a bit over zealous about it.  I'm trying to figure out a graceful way to do it that doesn't eliminate the ability to extend the limit. 

BTW that limit is there to prevent the database from becoming overly large.  If the field size is 4000 characters, even sending "yes" would take 4000 bytes of hard drive.  Some shared hosts might not be happy if you have 27 gigabytes of database. Smiley

neo4trace
Not too much to say...

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 12:35:07 AM »

Agreed, bloated DB wont fly.   Wink

Also, can you respond to me other question I had sent you in the private message, about the switching of Offline/Online Icon in a manner which does not involve writing to DB, dont know maybe a Ajax call back, or writing to a file.
humaneasy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 03:27:38 AM »

FYI: we already tried all that and seem to loose messages, when you test, try to have a few sentences in there, then 2 line breaks, and a few more sentences in, thats when you get cut off in the communication. Adjusting length in MySQL with few other tweaks can only fix straight long strings I believe.

Is it being cut on the same lenght always or is it being cut on the line breaks?

Sometimes, on a field not being TEXT but VARCHAR you may need to convert that line breaks into another thing like using nl2br().

A little something about me.
Helped you? Can you, please, rate me. Thanks!
neo4trace
Not too much to say...

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »

Probably cut was not the right word, what happens when someone enters text with line breaks is, his/her message does not reach the other end and that user gets completely cut off from the communication, after which point, they can see that the other person is typing a message, but none of the messages come through.
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 04:59:40 PM »

Ah, ok, that changes things a little bit.  I'll play with the filter a little bit.  As far as not writing to the DB for a on-line/off-line change, it's done that way to minimize traffic, since if the toggle was stored on the client end, it would have to query a client everytime someone accessed a page.  Remember that the server is a web server and is by nature stateless.  We could store in a session variable, however then we would need to do a bunch of mysql look-ups to establish which session we needed.  However that is one area where we could clean up the MySQL a little and perhaps help reduce overhead.

aznxbandit
Not too much to say...

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 02:35:13 AM »

It looks like the code is trying to avoid a potential mysql error, and is a bit over zealous about it.  I'm trying to figure out a graceful way to do it that doesn't eliminate the ability to extend the limit. 

BTW that limit is there to prevent the database from becoming overly large.  If the field size is 4000 characters, even sending "yes" would take 4000 bytes of hard drive.  Some shared hosts might not be happy if you have 27 gigabytes of database. Smiley

So have, is there a way to extend the character limit?
aznxbandit
Not too much to say...

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »

I would like to know how to extend the chat text length. I host my own server and I don't have a problem with the database growing 27 gigabytes. How can I extend the chat character limit?
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »

Still working on this, I managed to foobar my local copy, and since the SVN just got sold, I have to restore a backup tape and try to make the filters configurable.

neo4trace
Not too much to say...

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 08:04:19 PM »

same here mlz, I really am not too concerned about the DB size, because limiting to 150 characters is causing a negetive effect in how we deliver customer service, since a lot of customers would like to type freely without such limitations.

thanks.
spatter9999
Not too much to say...

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 01:44:41 AM »

Any word on this?  I looked at the MySQL table to see if I could change the limit, but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place.

I'm wanting to increase the current 150 character limit to about 500.  I don't care anything about line break functionality.

In the MySQL db, I see a table called "hcl_chat" which contains a field called "message" of type TEXT.  It doesn't appear to have a character limit.  Is the limit imposed in the code itself?  Anyone know where to find it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: