Help Center Live Community
April 23, 2014, 07:41:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Release, new stuff..  (Read 12225 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« on: May 25, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »

I'll be posting a new release here shortly. Here's what's going to be covered:

1. Revisiting the license agreement. Seems some of you take the code and improvements, use it commercially, and contribute nothing back to the community. You know who you are.

2. Offering paid support for customization and priority integrations of fixes.

3. Offering a hosted version that's multi-company and multi-tenant capable.

4. Implementing a subscription service for updates. No more freebies (thanks for the feedback Spencer).

Look for new stuff in the next 30 days.

how may I help you today?
JakSmit
Not too much to say...

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »

"1.  Revisiting the license agreement.  Seems some of you take the code and improvements, use it commercially, and contribute nothing back to the community.  You know who you are. "

I'm not being funny, but there is no community.

I used to be very active in this community and indeed a moderator of the forum when HCL first started out.  The "community" is now dead.  Well done for working on this update, but it will be very hard work to win back everyone to the project.  I've been refreshing the hcl website periodically, pretty much once a month for like 2 years waiting for HCL3 to be released.

I don't think that you guys should be coming out with messages about how you need to start grabbing back money when the project isn't delivered yet, my strategy would just be to deliver a great product and build up the community again.  I really don't understand what point 4 means, you will release it for free then charge when you start to add updates? sounds like a weird model, as does the requirement to change the license agreement.  People would share code updates if a community existed so they didn't feel like it was a one-way stream.  If they were giving back and receiving in return then I'm sure people would be happy to share their updates.  Indeed I remember people contributed originally with making extensions and the like.

I really look forward to checking out the new iteration of HCL and hopefully people are still bothering to check the site to see that a new version will be released, maybe send out a newsletter update?
dossy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »

You do realize that you're suggesting a change that violates the license that HCL is distributed under?

b.  Any Distribution of this Package, whether as a Modified Package or not, includes this file and is released under the terms of this Agreement. This clause is not dependent upon any measure of changes made to this
Package.

c.  This Package, Modified Packages, and derivative works may not be sold or released under any paid license. Copying fees for the transport of this Package, support fees for installation or other services, and hosting
fees for hosting the Software may, however, be imposed.

(Emphasis added by me. )

The way the license is worded, future versions are merely Modified Packages of the originally licensed work, and must be similarly licensed, which prohibits use of a paid license.
dossy
Not too much to say...

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »

Oops, I didn't see this until now:

4.  Digital Frontiers UTO reserves the right to change the terms of this Agreement at any time, although those changes are not retroactive to past releases.

So, who is "Digital Frontiers UTO"?
sunny123
Not too much to say...

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:47:57 AM »

When your guy wow power leveling chose you, there was wow power leveling something about you that wow power leveling attracted him and made you seem to be one of a kind.  You were wow power leveling a special someone that made him happy just to hear your voice.  Something about you aroused aion power level the desire in him and he went into a spin.  That was a wonderful time for both of aion powerleveling you.  But, if he has broken up with you something must have happened to dampen buy wow gold that desire.  To aion kinah get him back, you will have to aion power level arouse that desire and seem special to him again.  In order to do that, you will wow gold uk have to show him that you are a strong and mature woman that can accept the breakup and move ahead without him.
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

4. Implementing a subscription service for updates. No more freebies (thanks for the feedback Spencer).

Never have I said that you should charge users for updates. Infact, I have said many times that I think the application should be kept free and open source. I HAVE however said that you could charge for additional "premium" features. In the future, please don't misquote what I have said.

Also, it has been much more than 30 days, and there has been zero updates. Heck, you haven't even signed in since you posted that. This software is vaporware, and I suggest every stop getting their hopes up every time a post is made. HCL Admin has no intention of creating this software in any of our lifetimes, otherwise there would be a bit more progress on it.

I am NOT a developer for HelpCenterLive. I am just trying to help out anyone that has issues. If you have a problem, check the list of fixes and then create a new topic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: