Help Center Live Community
April 16, 2014, 02:03:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parcye HCL App  (Read 8999 times)
Parcye
Not too much to say...

« on: August 13, 2009, 10:42:13 AM »

Hi,

I have been working on my own version of WinApp as the WinApp I had was full of memory leaks loading upto 1. 5gig of memory in a day. 

Now I was wondering, how much will change when HCL 3 is released?

Will I have to start coding again of is it mostly compatible?

Regards,

Colin
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »

My guess is you will have to start coding again Sad However if you release the code, I am sure we could get a few people working on it

What language is it in?

Spenser

I am NOT a developer for HelpCenterLive. I am just trying to help out anyone that has issues. If you have a problem, check the list of fixes and then create a new topic
Parcye
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »

I spent a few hours coding in Delphi; as that is a quick and dirty way to get application running.  I am using the client. php that winapp also uses.

So if a new version of client app comes it could be easiely done.

And if people would work on it as they have my code, I don't understand why their are not more clients out and about, as the dev time is not that much. . . .
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »

My guess is that no one wants to take the responsibility over it or knows how to go about it. There are coders (most people who make apps) and then there are developers (people like you and I who know how to start something from sctatch and take it all the way to finish). I would make one myself, however I don't see much point in coding it for the current version, as client side is too buggy anyways.

What version of delphi? Because with a bit of work you could also make it cross platform (not natively, but with wine/mono).

Spenser

I am NOT a developer for HelpCenterLive. I am just trying to help out anyone that has issues. If you have a problem, check the list of fixes and then create a new topic
Parcye
Not too much to say...

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

Hi SpencerJ,

I am planning to go over to a crossplatform solution, but as I needed a quick and dirty solution for my webshop I went for low cost, quick dev, Delphi 2007 solution.

What would you recommend for crossplatform application?

What are your experiences? I would rather not go for Python. 

Looking forward to your input. 

And you are correct, others might be able to pickup what I have made from scratch and then take it in the stride to improve.

What are the HCL official App plans?

Well. . .  rather offtopic by now, maybee we should continu elsewhere.

Regards,

Colin
SpenserJ
HCL Regular

Some helpful guy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

Well I wouldn't even suggest recoding it to be cross platform, just post a link to mono (if its delphi .net) or wine (if its a standard windows app) and it should be good. I can test it out for you with those to make sure there aren't any bugs (porting can be quite the pain sometimes).  I am not a big fan of using QT for programming cross platform apps, as the gui sucks, however you COULD make it with Mono Develop if you have access to an Ubuntu (or other linux distro) machine. It builds an EXE, provides the launcher code for linux machines, and for the most part, you should be able to port that launcher bash script to the mac too. But it still uses mono then.

As for official plans, I have no clue. I am just the random moderator that gets ticked off by the idiots that occasionally come on here Tongue I rarely end up getting a chance to talk to the head guys

SpenserJ

Parcye
Not too much to say...

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »

Well let me put it this way; if you wasn't active here, I think HCL could find its end before v3 is out.

I also have my doubts why it is taking so long. . . .  unless it is a hobby project, then ofcourse, nothing said and I can understand the delay.

The version I have made uses way tomany non standard components (some even bought and needed with license to work) to release in source form.  So I am thinking of porting to C# or any other language and or package that is recommended for crossplatform coding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: