Help Center Live Community
April 20, 2014, 01:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pure HCL core?  (Read 10006 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« on: June 15, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »

Setting up eTicket (and osTicket in the past) requires steps beyond the setup of HCL.  I'm thinking that it would probably be best to NOT distributed modules that require a specialized setup with HCL, as this can be confusing, and can cause all kinds of installation issues.

I'm curious to what others in the community think about this.

Feel free to argue your position. Smiley

how may I help you today?
hightekhosting
Not too much to say...

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:57:16 PM »

I believe that HCL should be distributed as a stand alone system WITH THE OPTION to add on modules such as eTicket.

My reasons stands to this point and this point only.

Some users of HCL do not require a ticketing feature as they have it with their online billing system, such as WHMCS (which we use for our hosting clients), meaning we do not require the ticketing module, hence why we removed it from our current V2 install.

I think it would be more viable to distribute eticket moduel seperate to HCL as it would give the users that option.

Just a thought... Smiley

Hightek Hosting
Ph: +61259082370   Fax: +61269314226
Web: http://www.hightekhosting.com   Email: sales@hightekhosting.com
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »

One thing that might be handy, and this really would go in the modules forum, is an integration with WHMCS.  I believe it has an API interface, so it should be possible to integrate that with HCL to allow a user logged into WHMCS to automatically have their username in the monitor screen. 

Hmm, that would need a hook in the core, so we're still on topic.  I know Crafty Syntax has this mechanism and it's nice to not have to have a visitor type in their name, when they have already logged into the system.  Maybe something for the 2.2.x branch.

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »

Folks, if your reading this, please at least vote.  A decision will be made soon about this, and I really want to know what others think about this.

You don't have to post, but the vote is important.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »

I believe it would be in the best interest of HCL to stay as modular as possible.  Keeping the HCL core separate and clean, would allow for a more stable atmosphere, where reliability is key.

I've been running 2.1.2 for some time now and the first thing I did was disable osTicket, because I already had a ticketing system in place.  I would think that's the usual progress of people in our business(I.T.), you get your way to record your work first, then you progress on to new things such as online chat.

Speaking of the specialized setup outside of HCL thats just asking for problems.  Just my opinion.

Having used Crafty Syntax and HCL, on a site that has ~10,000 page loads a day and ~2000 unique visitors, Crafty couldn't keep up. It seems as though HCL SQL routines may be better written, but I can't say for sure.  All I know is that timeouts were occurring that would case the page not to load allof the way.  Not good.

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 06:03:40 PM »

Personally, and this is only my opinion, one of the neatest things about CSL may be it's downfall.  The all-in-one monitor and chatting seems like it's not as efficient as the independent windows.  Also, I can attest to some very clean code in the core.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »

Just seems to echo the whole modular argument in my opinion. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: