Help Center Live Community
April 16, 2014, 05:20:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hclTicket 0.0.1  (Read 10123 times)
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« on: June 25, 2007, 10:36:14 PM »

Work on hclTicket 0.0.1 is coming along.  This version is basically you can enter a ticket and get it back out.  It nearly has NONE of the features that Tommyjohn has suggested Smiley  This one actually is getting a lot of work, because I want something stable with as few bugs and security holes as possible.  Every change gets uploaded to a web server and tested.  This is not normally how I program.  I normally write for a few hours then upload when routines are considered done, that's the fast way.  However with all of the headaches on the other ticket systems, I want this one solid.

I had to make the decision to abandon eTicket/osTicket.  I just don't see either one as viable.  osTicket is dead.  eTicket has a long way to go for stability under HCL, it would amount to a fork of the system.  I just don't see the point, as eTicket has a lot of replication of functions.  We really don't need it to have a login, cached output, etc.  HCL provides a wealth of functions that are available to every module, it makes no sense to waste those resources.  So if I am going to put 30 or 40 hours into a trouble ticket system, I'm going to do the one that makes the best use of resources.

I'll update this topic as we progress.  I'd like to have 0.0.1 before the end of the month.  At that point we can start adding features, and start getting to where 2.2.0 will require it to be (2.2.0 has a LOT of changes, in particular the way modules are handled.)

update 6/28/07 04:00a MST: After 3 hours of chunking out code and basically making wrappers, I deleted all of the PHPticket I was was using as a template.  Making another ticket system conform just isn't efficient and frankly, it's faster to code by hand.  Right now I've got the guest template done.  I've built the add ticket function, and can list the tickets.  That's in an hour and a half.  I should have the module working and in alpha by Friday.  One thing, we noticed yesterday that there is a form buried in the HelpCenter Core module.  That has just got to go, as it breaks this module, and makes templating a nightmare.  So 2.1.3 is going to be getting one last (hopefully) fix and then we should be good to go.  What this also means is that version 2.1.2 will need a hotfix to run hclTicket.  However I don't see that as a major thing, the change affects 3 or 4 files, only one of which is PHP.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:00:23 AM by mlzhosting » Logged

how may I help you today?
phpfixer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:37:17 PM »

How's the code going? Im very interested. in fact I'd like to know if I can help or contribute.

In a nutshell, I work for a webhosting company, we have implemented HCL after evaluating it and it looks like a permanent replacement to our previous live help system. The fact that you want to do an integrated ticket system is absolutely ideal for us , and the requirements /features list in a post else where in this category is just about exactly what we are looking for as well to replace our current (custom coded, by me) trouble ticket system.

Because of that it seems an ideal candidate to contribute/help/encourage development on it.

So, I'd definitely like to know if there is anything I can do to help with development and/or obtain code to date to work with and perhaps contribute additional work to it.

Thanks for a great system. this defiitely fits the bill

Regards,
Brian
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »

I'm afraid I simply have not had much chance to work on it for the past couple of weeks, however it's a priority this weekend to get it ready for the initial release, at which time I'll open it up for outside work.

I'm in the same boat, in that my business needs it in about 12 different areas, so I need to get it done and out. Sad

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »

Update:  I've been fighting with the hclTicket code, and frankly, the progress is too slow. By the time we get all the features I want/need, I'll be old and gray (instead of just old).  Thus I've retaken the eTicket project, and will just fork it.  I still have the same design goals, including re-using functions from HCL, however, this way we can get done in something less then a decade. Smiley  I've got one serious issue to deal with, that being the admin interface blowing up the database, after that I can release hclTicket, and we all can have trouble tickets again.

Once version 3.0.0 comes out, hclTicket will diverge quite a bit from the stock eTicket core.  HCL V. 2.1.x just doesn't have the facilities to support a completely native ticket system, and all I end up with is one kludge after another.  One thing to note, once HCL 3 comes out, hclTicket for 2.1.x will only be in maintenance mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: