Help Center Live Community
April 24, 2014, 05:22:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: v 2.2.7 failed upgrade  (Read 6792 times)
Talvenloppu
Not too much to say...

« on: July 21, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

I installed via Fantastico - had problems, so decided to upgrade rather than try to fix them.  Overwrote only the contents of the folder that Fantastico had created - leaving anything that wasn't in the new downloaded 2.1.7 - and just to be sure renaming the original icons folder iconsOLD because the only upgrade instructions here mention leaving it.  Anyway, now nothing works  Sad   If I navigate to the folder where hcl is installed which is /HCL (in uppercase) I get redirected to /hcl/setup.  I've tried clearing the cache on my local machine - so now I'm confused.  The index file doesn't give any clues, maybe it's the Fantastico install not recognising something??  So, back to the old and try to unravel how to get that working (and find out how it works) or .... ?  Any ideas folk  Smiley

Opposites are not contradictory but complimentary - Neils Bohr
Talvenloppu
Not too much to say...

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »

Couldn't find an answer (as you can see) so I deleted the folder that contained the HCL files.  It seems to have stripped out the installation with no side effects.

AndyR
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »

I think I saw this type of problem a while back.  Try deleting your setup folder and then re-login.  It cleared it for me.  I rememebered somewhere in the documentation it talked about getting rid of your setup folder after an upgrade (which is what I went through).

Best of luck

Andy
Talvenloppu
Not too much to say...

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.  I've deleted everything so it's a question of starting again!  Do you think it's better to install via Fantastico or try the 2.0.7 and use the instructions below that are for 2.1.2 ?  

Where did you find the installation instructions?  The ones here (Top of the screen menu "Support") refers to versions 2.1.2, 2.1.3Beta1.  Fantastico installs 2.4 I think and comments here say install 2.0.7 (which isn't referred to anywhere I can see except as the filename for the download itself.  As far as I can interpret them the instructions are, after creating a MySQL database [my comments/queries in square brackets]:

* Begin by downloading the HCL Core files.  [i.e. the zipped file here)
    * Unzip the files on your local machine  [ok]
    * If you have safe_mode on, change the config setting $conf['safe_mode'] to true in the config.php file  [there's a congi.php and a config-new.php file in the root folder, there is also a config.php in the Modules folder]
    * Upload the entire 'hcl' directory (you can re-name the directory if you wish)  [Ok]
    * CHMOD /config.php to 777  [don't understand, there's no CHMOD ref in config.php]
    * CHMOD /icons/ to 777 [??]
    * CHMOD /compile/ to 777 [??]
    * CHMOD /cache/ to 777  [??]
    * You will need to make sure you have a MySQL database available for installation.  [ok]
    * Open you browser and go to the setup directory e.g. http://www.YOURWEBSITE.com/hcl/setup [ok]
    * Follow the instructions. [ditto]

AndyR
Not too much to say...

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »

Hi

I was on an earlier version - 2. 1. 3 or 4 I think which I originally installed some months ago via Fantastico.  As I recall, that installation went pretty much straightforwardly.

This time, upgrading was a little more problematic and I had to have several goes at it before I got things working.  If I remember correctly, this is how it went (I'm omitting a few false starts along the way). 

Having made a copy of my hcl folder I copied the contents of the 2. 1. 7 zip file to it - overwriting any duplicate files with the new ones.  Checked the CHMOD setting s for the required folders.

Then I ran the setup utility.  I then copied my old config. php into the folder.

Delete the setup folder and logged in.

That was it.

The installation instructions, such as they were, were in the docs folder.  I read them all just to get the full picture.

The business about deleting the setup folder was mentioned somewhere and said you'd get redirected (to the wrong place) after setup when you try to login.  Getting rid of the setup folder fixed that problem.
Talvenloppu
Not too much to say...

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

Thanks for both of your replies Andy, appreciated a LOT!  Could you clarify a couple of things?  

Having made a copy of my hcl folder I copied the contents of the 2. 1. 7 zip file to it - overwriting any duplicate files with the new ones.  

So, this is from your Fantastico install right?  You made the copy of the hcl folder (the original one?) just as a backup in case of problems.  Is that right?

Checked the CHMOD settings for the required folders.

This is a dumb question ... but how/where do you check these CHMOD settings??  

Then I ran the setup utility.  I then copied my old config. php into the folder.

Running the setup is by navigating to the setup folder and following the instructions right?  What's the confignew.php file for?  It just stays as is right?  And I'd need to copy the Fantastico config file across like you to keep the same password etc or .... ?

If I've got that right then I think I'll just try the same and see where I get to.  I missed the stuff in the docs folder. Doh!  So then, the only "big" question is about the CHMOD settings (unless of course I've got the wrong end of the stick about the rest too!)

Thanks again Andy, this is REALLY helpful

AndyR
Not too much to say...

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:36:52 AM »

Hi

Your understanding of my points that you queried is correct.  Yes to all of those.

The CHMOD refers to the permissions set on the folders to allow different classes of user/program read/write/execute stuff in the folders.

If you have an FTP program, many of those will allow you to set the CHMOD value.  In SMartFTP for example, click on the folder (on the  web server), select properties and the software will show you what's set and allow you to change it.  (I think you can get a copy of SmartFTP free - for a week or two to try it out.  Probably CuteFTP, too. )

If you don't have this sort of software, your ISP should provide a utility to allow you to manage file permissions.  CPanel is a very common "web server management" tool. 

If you are lost, ask your ISP - they should help you out.

You HAVE to get these CHMOD settings as specified otherwise the software will NEVER run.  It applies to virtually everything that exists on a web server - without the right permissions, the software can't do what it needs to do!

Good luck
Talvenloppu
Not too much to say...

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:10:32 PM »

Thanks Andy, armed with this I will stumble on Wink  Good luck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: