Help Center Live Community
April 17, 2014, 05:40:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Center vs. Crafty Syntax  (Read 8273 times)
5Formsdotnet
Not too much to say...

« on: September 15, 2007, 02:00:20 AM »

My web host provides both scripts for Help Center Live and Crafty Syntax and I've installed them both to evaluate the two. I can see many similarities between the two programs and I really like the clean look of Help Center Live so much more than Crafty. However, Crafty seems to have a few features that work much better than HCL like the auto invite portion where a user gets a dhtml invite if they've been on the site for say... 1.5 minutes. Also they use the AutoFocus ability to pull the window back up when a visitor is on the site. HCL definitely has a much friendlier user feel but having each chat open in a new window is one of the features that crafty doesn't default to, all the chats are listed at the bottom of the screen on tabs. Have you evaluated some of the methods that Crafty uses and can they be incorporated in HCL? Crafty also has a windows client that sits down by the clock and alerts you to visitors and chats. I'd much rather use HCL because of the clean look both on the front and back end but I'm having a hard time justifying it because of some of the features crafty has. I'd really like to see a mix of the features from both programs in HCL. Is this a possibility?

Kenneth
The Forms Division
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:08:42 AM by 5Formsdotnet » Logged

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »

While I generally don't debate features, some of those features will be born out in version 3.  The biggest feature for most people is a client software that people can run on their local PC.  Once upon a time there was a WinApp, however it was closed source and not very extendable.  While there are plans for such a beast (on linux and mac as well as windows) until version 3 is released, we simply don't have the time to work on it. 

Once V3 is out, many things become more user friendly, such as a plug in system that can replace current functionality.  Taking the tabbed chats.  I hate them be cause it's not right there where you can see it, thus a real issue.  On the other hand, some people have good luck with it.  With 3.0 you can put a tabbed chat module in place of the current windowed chat.  While that is possible right now, an upgrade would over-write the files back to default, in version 3, upgrades are totally different, in fact you won't even need an FTP or SFTP client to do an upgrade.  Only modules that have been updated would get changed.

how may I help you today?
5Formsdotnet
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 04:27:35 PM »

Thanks MLZ I'll be anxiously awaiting version 3.

Kenneth
The Forms Divison

Nilpo
Not too much to say...

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »

MLZ, speaking of this desktop app.  Are there any plans, or has there been any talk, of adding remote desktop abilities?  I provide Live Chat, tickets, and also remote service.  It would be perfect if all three were incorporated.
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »

It's something that could be looked at.  Although I tend to use VNC as remote desktop app, mostly because it has the features I need, and is cross platform.  I'm not sure you can get around some of the security issues with trying to use java effectively as a remote app, but I could be wrong.

how may I help you today?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: