Help Center Live Community
April 23, 2014, 07:42:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Works great but unstable  (Read 6770 times)
thomasw98
Not too much to say...

« on: August 11, 2007, 07:48:07 AM »

I have been using HCL for a couple ofmonths now. It works great, has just about every possible feature I could ask for, and sells for the right price (free!  Wink ). My only complaint, aside from some strange problems with my Chinese language chats that I already mentioned elsewhere, is instability. The symptoms are:

Server: Running on unix server with latest version 2.1.3. I recently switched from one server in the US to another server in China, and they both exhibit the exact same behavior.

Everything works fine, but quite often the operator's screen seems to stop updating. Eventually, the website shows the operator being offline, but in fact, the operator is sitting in my office staring at their operator screen thinking "gee, it's really quiet today on the website..." They have no indication that the screen is not updating anymore. If they finally get suspicious, and right click the screen and select "refresh", then the admin entry screen appears asking them for their user name and password. They relogin in, go to the operator screen, and everything works great for another hour or so. Actually, I am not sure how often this problem occurs. It seems somewhat random in timing. But at least 4-5 times per day.

My operators (2-3) are using PC's running XP and IE.

Any suggestions? I am really surprised that nobody has seemed to mention this problem anywhere else in this forum. I guess that is good news in a way....i.e. it is not a systemic problem but rather it is something i can probably fix if I isolate the problem.

Thanks!

Thomas
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »

Actually it's mentioned a few times, and there is a bug report on it.  It seems that the cookie expires, and we're working on a fix that doesn't compromise network speed.  One thing you might try is raising the operator timeout in your config and gentlly reminding your operators to remember to log out properly when the are done monitoring.

how may I help you today?
thomasw98
Not too much to say...

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »

OK, I will try to raise the operator timeout (I think I did this already, but I will have another look).

By the way, how does it "sense" that the operator is inactive? Does the operator have to click something on the operator screen to let the chat system know the operator is still alive and kickin'...or does the chat screen just need to be brought to the front of the open screens every so often?

Will wait for the fix also.

Thanks again for the support and for the nearly perfect program.
HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »

Actually it should keep working, the client should occasionally send a message to the server saying that it's live, however if that packet gets delayed or lost, you'll be knocked offline without knowing it.  It's really a two part problem, as most modern browsers will stop allowing java to send the token back to the server if the cookie expires.  The fix is probably going to be having the server send something to the page and keep the cookie alive.  The issue is further complicated because we don't want to put heavier loads on the server or bandwidth.  In some places in the world, 56K is still the fastest available connection, so we don't want to load the pipe with useless information, as well as putting more latency in the system.

enrico
Not too much to say...

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »

We have the same problem. Will there be a fix on it in version 3.0.0?

Thank you for the very good software - good job!

Enrico
victor
HCL Member

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:46:33 PM »

our team is working on this Wink

HCL Admin
Administrator
HCL Superstar

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:51:14 PM »

Enrico, make sure your using 2.1.5, as there is a bug fix which address' this issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: